“CRISES IN STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT TODAY -
FROM LOCALISM TO DETERIORIALIZATION”
October 26, 2023
The modern era’s sharp conflict dynamics has dissolved deep deficits in strategic thinking, strategic goal-setting and strategic governance throughout the liberal world. Strategic deficits affect the spheres of security, economic policy, diplomacy, energy, culture – generally, every field of strategizing in the Western world in general and Bulgaria in particular. Deficits seem to have appeared even in the very concept of strategy. Is there a strategic crisis of modern statehood?
This invitation is addressed to scientists and researchers from all scientific fields as long as their research is related to the current problems of strategic management – be it theoretically, methodologically or practically. Scientists and practitioners from the field of public administration, philosophers, political scientists, economists, lawyers and other researchers of management from Bulgaria and abroad are invited.
DISCUSSIONS WILL POSSIBLY COVER GENERAL FIELDS SUCH AS:
- What hinders strategic leadership in modern crisis era?
- Do the processes of deterritorialization change the ways and methods of governing nation-states, and to what extent strategizing is able to solve problems in the “open” political system?
- What challenge for political strategists does deterritorialization pose as a significant outcome of globalization?
- What are the implications of the drift between “Western” and “Eastern” strategic thinking?
- What are the theoretical deficits that lead to strategic management deficits recently?
- Once again: what is the working concept of strategy in the public sphere in the shadow of successful cases?
- How does a strategic plan start: by a detailed problem statement, by a stated “vision” or, in fact, by something completely different?
- Is a new push of the “Strategy-as-Practice” methodology necessary today?
- What are the strategic deficits in the management of a given sphere (economy, security, energy, foreign relations, etc.)?
- How to further create and develop capacity for strategic planning in local and state government institutions?
The papers of participants will be published in a separate scientific collection. They will be accepted for publication by peer review.
The working languages of the conference are Bulgarian and English.
No participation fee is required.
The conference will be held on October 26, 2023
Place: Conference Hall, Rectorate, Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski, 15 Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd., Sofia
Applications are accepted until October 15, 2023